Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Back in the Saddle



I finally got to my painting studio for the first time since last year. I pay the rent, have it cleaned, but still I haven't opened the door to that magic room for oh so long!

Once I'm there with sketches and half finished works pinned to the wall, a rainbow of inks, acrylics, watercolors, pastels, and art book laden shelves, the creative spark ignites.  I feel almost possessed as the urgency intensifies and my fingers move through the materials putting color on what ever medium is in front of me. Color! I even thrill to test dabs on torn paper scraps - tests to see how the colors look together or overlaid. How I need color.

I love my work and the mammoth tusk carvings that I design and 'World on a String' produces. Semi precious stone beads embellish them and help me assuage that need for color. But slowly building over time, it's now not enough. I want the carvings to tell stories in hues that pull the viewer in as much as the detail and beauty of the carving.  

This idea has been brewing for over a year, perhaps two, but it's time had not come and past attempts to use color on carvings have not been successful. It's easy to make them look cheap or plastic like. I'm inspired by old inked Chinese ivory carvings and Eskimo scrimshaw but still I want something different.

I didn't know what that "different" was until this spring while in the States. One evening I passed a store window with hand-made hand-painted furniture on display. I said to my partner, "This is what I want my carvings to look like!"  Finally I had a solid idea of the look I was after.

A Start
I collect 'ideas and inspirations' like I collect beads and components for my jewelry. Some times they sit unnoticed for a very long time until suddenly they unveil themselves and I know just how to use them.

So this project in progress still has much work left to do. While I'm happy with the result so far, I feel I haven't yet found the right color medium. It's back to the art store to try some new bottles or tubes and continue the experiments. I'll keep you posted and if anyone out there has an idea for coloring bone please let me know.

Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments and the comment section isn't working then please email me at: suzworld2@gmail.com