Saturday, May 4, 2013

Yes!


Creativity is a way of life for me.  I really don't care what form it takes as long as it's fully operational. So art, jewelry design and cooking have been riding in the back seat lately while I drive to completion the second edit of my book:        

           'Piece by Piece' - Bali Dreams, Love and the Land of Alzheimer's

I adore the writing process and working with my delightful editor, Vicki Hannah Lein, is a dream. Vicki is a  writer, singer, songwriter, artist, and fantastic all around person, who happens to be blind. (http://www.outrageousvisions.com)

Last night she performed her 'one woman show' for a group of ten of us with the theme of saying, "Yes," to what ever comes our way. That doesn't mean you don't work to change things but your initial response is YES! no matter how hard the situation - even going blind.

I met Vicki when she was performing last year at Bar Luna, here in Ubud. We hit it off immediately and became close friends - the kind of friends who feel they've always known each other.

The insights she's given me through her editing become jumping off points that say, "Yes! This will make the book better and clearer".  I understand where she's guiding me. 

I started writing 'Piece by Piece' in 2009 after returning from my first real respite trip after nine years of taking care of my husband, Bob, who has Alzheimer's disease. That trip didn't go as planned and I ended up grieving the great loss of Bob through most it. When I got home I thought to write about that grief in support of others experiencing the same thing.

What started as an article is now three and a half years and two edits later, a book. Soon I'll have to begin the process of getting published one way or another. Since the book seemed to 'fall' out of my quickly typing fingers into a Word document, I assume the publishing process will present itself too when I'm ready and begin the research.  Originally I thought I only wanted to go the traditional publishing route but now I'm saying, "Yes' to whatever possibilities show up to get it out there.

For stories about care-giving and Alzheimer's see my blog:


You can hear Vicki sing and talk about being Vicki at her 60th birthday party here:





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have comments and the comment section isn't working then please email me at: suzworld2@gmail.com